|Black Walnut Display Cabinet||A display cabinet I made for L.'s work.
|First we make the corner posts, which just involves using the rabbeting plane to cut back a rabbet that the glass will eventually fit in. In the third photo you can see how the tops of the posts are cut back so they'll fit into the top frame of the case.|
|I made a pine base for the cabinet, because I had a limited amount of black walnut. :) This base will be covered by the cabinet floor and mouldings of course.|
|In order to cut down on the amount of wood used, I decided to resaw some of my 3/4" thick walnut into thinner pieces, which will be used for the floor of the cabinet, for covering up the pine base and for mouldings.
The fourth picture shows the completed resawn pieces.
|Here we see the two wide pieces that I had resawn being edge-glued, and then attached to the top of the pine base to make the cabinet floor.|
|Now we make the top frame, which is just four pieces, roughly 1" by 1", joined with open mortise and tenon joints.|
|In these four photos we see the detail work on the top frame. First we need to inset the corners so they fit into the tops of the corner posts.
Then we use a chisel and shoulder plane to cut a rabbet around the entire perimeter of the frame for the tops of the glass sides to fit into.
Finally, we need to make two additional posts that will be used on the back side of the cabinet for the door, and we cut joints in the top frame for them as well.
|In the first of these photos we have attached the corner posts to the pine base, and glued the top frame into place. The second picture shows the thin boards I made earlier glued to the sides of the pine base, and the third photo shows the result.|
|Once the frame was assembled, I attached a base by screwing four mitered pieces to the bottom of the pine.|
|After attaching the base, I decided to add a small moulding to the bottom as well, so I used one of my favourite tools, the scratch plane, to make a small detail moulding. The third photo shows the result, and the fourth photo shows the result after some sanding and a coat of tung oil was applied.|
|In these photos you can see the process of making the top frame for the cabinet. A surprising amount of work, especially cutting the rabbet for the glass. The large bevel shown in the last photo was roughed out with a drawknife, and then finished with a jack plane.|
|Now it's time to install the glass - but first I have to make small beveled pieces to hold the glass in place. This is a good use for scraps (which was about all I had left at this stage) - I ripped roughly 1/4" square pieces, cleaned them up with the planer, and then used a block plane to cut them down to a trianglar cross section.|
|The cabinet with the glass and top installed. You can see the use of the small beveled pieces inside the cabinet - I used small finishing nails to attach them to the frame.|
|The only thing left to do is make a door for the back of the cabinet. In the first two photos you can see the simple frame that I made, and the completed frame without the glass installed. In the third photo you can see that the glass is installed, and that it has broken. This happened after the frame was completed, and everything had been glued into position in order to make the frame a little more rigid. So I had to throw this version of the door away and start over.|
|I didnt have enough walnut left to make another fullsize door, so I tried making two small doors out of scraps. Unfortunately, one of the doors slipped in the clamps, and you can see the result at in the first image at left.
I ended up driving to Windhorse Farm to buy another small piece of walnut, and made the final door - the 2nd image at the left is the rough frame just out of the clamps.
|The finished cabinet being tested.|